Monday, February 1, 2016

Hive 1 February Block



Hello Hive #1!  I'm Heather coming to you from the beautiful, rainy Willamette Valley.  I periodically blog over at A Reformed Heath'n and this is my 4th go-round in Stash Bee (Year 1, Year 2, Year 3) and I'm super excited!  I must be a glutton for punishment because I chose another block that matches lots and lots of points =)


This year I decided to do a Scrappy Trip block with a few modifications.  This quilt has been on my to-do list for quite a while now, but I just haven't gotten to it.  For the basic construction, we'll use Bonnie Hunter's tutorial.  I'm combining scrappy with my current favorite color combination--navy and mustard.  The centers will be structured, the outsides scrappy.  Here is my fabric pull for the center strips:


And here are my final choices for my sample blocks:

For this block, you will need (7) 2-1/2" x 18" strips:
1 Navy strip (the darker the better, preferably solid or tone on tone.  This will be the center focal color.)
2 Mustard strips (muted, not bright--prints are OK)
4 scrappy strips (any color/combo--the scrappier, the better)
(If you're really trying to use your stash, you could sew shorter strips together, just watch where you'll be sub-cutting the strips so the seams end up in the middle of the cut, and not on the edges.)

I found it easier to see if I laid out my block with the navy in the middle and worked out from there.  The mustard strips should be on each side of the navy and the scrappy strips on the outsides.

From here I followed the tutorial for sewing and pressing.  For the final pressing, please press the seams open ... I'll be doing tons of pinning to match things up when I put the quilt together =)  Your finished block should be 14-1/2" square.

Note: I think because I chose to go with an odd number of strips, I did have some trouble with seams not perfectly nesting on the last couple of runs.  I just ended up stacking them as they fit and going slowly to keep the points matching on the other side.  Make it work however you are comfortable ... I'm not a stickler, especially since I'm sure it'll all work out in the end =)

Please feel free to e-mail or message me on Instagram if you have any questions.

3 comments:

dq said...

I absolutely love this quilt! I may have to crash your hive if I get time this month!

HeatherK @ A Reformed Heath'n said...

I'd love to have one of your blocks in this quilt, too:) your block is gorgeous; you're a great designer!

Unknown said...

I'm crashing your hive!! Send me your address and mail off your block!
springhillmom3@yahoo.com